Social media is ever-changing, which is why it’s important to keep up with the trends - especially if you’re using social networks for your business. Some companies are even spending more money on social and digital ads than traditional television advertising. With no signs of slowing down, we’re here to let you in on five trends that you can expect to see for the next several months in the social media realm if you’re using it for business.
- Over the years, Facebook has slowly decreased organic reach for businesses. As of recently, the company began testing an “Explore Feed,” which is essentially another stream solely for businesses. Unless you pay to play, your posts probably won’t be showing up in the near future. If you’re willing to spend some advertising dollars, there’s good news. Facebook Targeting is extremely detailed, which means you can reach a very specific audience depending on your objective.
- Basic social tasks such as scheduling at optimal times and finding relevant content have already been automated. However, expect Artificial Intelligence and behind-the-scenes technology to test what’s going to get the most interaction, engagement, and more. Instead of having to do tests, AI will help to choose which images and text will receive the most engagement moving forward.
- Expect digital privacy and the importance of identifying when something is an ad versus when it’s not to take the front runner in the world of social media. After a large scandal earlier this year regarding users’ privacy and data being sold, Facebook has become a lot more transparent in ensuring that your data won’t be used without you knowing what’s going on. Another thing to keep in eye on is influencer marketing, which is highly effective, but also sometimes misleading. Expect the Federal Trade Commission to crack down on ensuring that influencers let you know when they are being paid to promote a product.
- Instagram Business will grow exponentially, but only if you have a Facebook Page to link it to. There are some major advantages to using a Business Instagram instead of a Personal one, and here’s why. With a personal profile, you cannot promote posts that are already in the account, and can only do that through Instagram Ads. In contrast, in the company profile, you can include advertising directly in your content. You’ll also be able to see statistics and which photos performed the best with a business account. Finally, a contact button and a clickable address that brings you directly to Google Maps is included!
- Live video and Social Video Stories will only continue to rise. Look out for Geo-located video discovery and sharing, as well as Storytelling in micro-moments through Vertical video as seen on Instagram. A shocking 87 percent of audiences would prefer to consume live video online vs. on a traditional television, and this is not expected to change anytime soon.
Being successful in the world of social media is challenging, but attainable. Just make sure to keep up with the trends and changing algorithms to stay on top of how you can engage your audience in the most efficient way.